ARROW LAKES HISTORICAL SOCIETY
by Rosemarie Parent
We wish to extend to all a late but happy and good New Year!
1. Requests from far and wide for assistance continues and we are happy to be able to help – at least most of the time, many from emails from people who have looked at our website. We had our website upgraded this past year and if you have not looked at it for awhile, check it out – www.alhs-archives.com
2. BC Gaming grant was for $5,000 this year and we will try for an extra thousand next year to help with Kyle’s wages.
3. Our big project this past year has been to finish the 2 storey addition to the Centennial Building by Lonestar Construction. We kept plugging away for more funding and will be able to move in by February if all goes well. We used the $20,000 for office equipment from the Columbia Kootenay Cultural Alliance (CKCA) for desks, tables, chairs, shelving and so on.
4. Another grant from CKCA for $4,000 was used last year to help with Kyle Kusch’s wages to scan, organize and categorize the over 10,000 photos collected by Milton Parent. We are applying for another of these grants because there is still much to do.
5. Kyle will be putting on a course to do this photo work soon – David Coleman, Ken Williams and I will do this but others are welcome to learn how. This training will be in the evening because some people cannot attend during the day.
6 We hope to increase our hours to include another day and will be open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. We will need more people to work in the office and if anyone is interested please advise.
7. Our AGM will be held on 4th April this year at the new building from 2-5 p.m. We encourage all to come and bring friends if you wish. The BC Gaming grant requires that we send in the AGM minutes and want to see a good attendance of members at the meeting. Bruce Rohn, a long time director, will be joining us and will be bringing some of his wonderful photos for you to see. Greg Nesteroff another director will be showing his slides of postcards of the West Kootenay.
8. We hope that you will visit the office and see what we have and what we have accomplished. Also if you have any archive items or information that you would like to donate, we would appreciate receiving them.
9. We hope to do another virtual museum project this year on Halcyon Hot Springs We will be writing a grant to do this and because we have a lot of photos and information, should be fairly easy to do. This will give us another $2500.
10. Our trip this year near the end of June or September will be to West Arrow Park. This will be a picnic. Please advise if you are interested and we will contact you.
11. Family Tree program – this program was started a few years back and we need someone to do the work that we started. We did enter several families including the Aaltens, Bairds, Baileys and Parents – trying to do the early pioneers first. Anyone interested in doing this, please advise.
Hopefully, you will continue to support our society by keeping up your membership with us.
Memberships are $5 per year.
Life Memberships are $50.
Meetings are held at our office during the day – the 3rd Thursday of the month at 3 p.m.. We don’t meet during the summer or at Christmas but we do have a Christmas party mid December for members and guests. New members are always welcome.
Our office hours are year-long Tuesdays and Thursdays 10-3 except for 2 weeks during the Christmas season. (This will change when our addition is finished to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – hopefully by fall of 2014)
Our mailing address is Box 819 Nakusp BC V0G 1R0
Phone/fax is 250-265-0110
Email address is [email protected]
Alternate phone is 250-265-3323
Alternate email is [email protected]
Website is www.alhs-archives.com